CURT Trailer Brake Controller - C51180
- Proportional Controller
- Up to 2 Axles
- Smartphone Display
Bluetooth-enabled brake controller lets you monitor and control all your braking activity directly from your phone. User-friendly mobile app saves multiple trailer profiles, and the compact unit plugs in line with your 7-way trailer connector.
- Brake controller activates trailer brakes in proportion to your vehicle's braking action
- Automatically adjusts trailer's braking based on deceleration of tow vehicle
- ECHO Smart Control mobile app lets you set, monitor, and control all your braking activity
- Adjust sensitivity and max power output
- Press the manual override button in the app to control trailer sway or stop in an emergency
- Drive at night with the dark mode setting
- Reduce power drain on your phone by using sleep mode
- Easy to transfer between vehicles - great for fleets of trucks and trailers
- Create up to 5 vehicle-trailer profiles in the app
- LED lights on plug-in unit provide diagnostics for troubleshooting
- Fast, plug-and-play installation makes setup a breeze - no tools required
- Plug unit in between your 7-way trailer connection - no hardwiring
- Compatible with ABS brakes, cruise control, low-voltage wiring, multiplex wiring, and PWM systems
- Built-in reverse polarity and short circuit protection
- Plug-in unit, instructions, and quick reference guide included
- Bluetooth PIN for initial pairing to your smart device located in quick reference guide
- Assembled in the USA
- Application: trailers with up to 2 axles (4 brake assemblies)
- Compatible with electric or electric-over-hydraulic trailer brakes
- Plug-in unit length: 6-5/8"
- Smart device OS requirements:
- Apple: 5.0 and newer
- Android: 4.3 and newer
- Limited lifetime warranty
Note: If Bluetooth connection is lost, the brake controller will continue to function safely, using the most recently programmed settings. This brake controller is not compatible, but will not interfere, with Apple CarPlay or Android Auto.
Simple, One-Step Installation
The Curt Echo is unique for its plug-and-play installation. With no wiring, modules, or knobs to install, setting up the Echo is a breeze. Just download the ECHO Smart Control app on your Apple or Android smart device and follow the in-app instructions. The brake controller unit plugs into the 7-way at the rear of your vehicle and provides a port for plugging in your 7-way trailer connector. There’s also an included strap, found inside the cap, that you can use to secure the Echo to your vehicle. When all the connections are made, wirelessly pair the unit to your phone via Bluetooth. Once paired, configure your desired trailer brake settings in the user-friendly app.
Note: See etrailer.com’s exclusive 7-way upgrade kit for brake controller installation (ETBC7L – sold separately) if you don’t already have a 7-way plug at the back of your vehicle.
The Curt Echo brake controller is managed entirely from the free ECHO Smart Control app on your smartphone. It connects via Bluetooth. From the simple, user-friendly app you can set the maximum braking output, adjust the braking sensitivity, and even apply the manual override. You can save multiple towing profiles in the app – a big plus if you have a fleet and want to be able to just select a profile and tow. And don’t worry; after you’ve downloaded the app, you don’t need to have data on to use the app with the brake controller.
Braking Output and Sensitivity
Braking output is the maximum amount of power that will be applied to your trailer’s brakes. How much braking output you need is determined by the weight of your trailer; a heavier trailer will need more power to bring it to a stop. To set your maximum braking output, select a level on the main screen of the app, going up to 100. You want to set the braking output as high as you can without locking up the brakes. Once you’ve set up the brake controller the first time, you shouldn’t need to adjust the settings until the trailer load changes, you switch trailers, or road conditions change.
You can also set the sensitivity, between 1 and 9, to control the aggressiveness of your trailer’s braking, meaning how quickly the brakes reach the set output level. This is a great adjustment to make when you’re towing a heavy load and the trailer will need more umph to bring it to a stop so it doesn’t push your vehicle forward. If your vehicle takes too long to come to a stop, increase the setting. If it stops too abruptly, lower the setting. You may also need to adjust the sensitivity based on your own preferences, or when the trailer load or road conditions change.
The app also includes a manual override button. Press the big orange button in the middle of the screen to slowly and smoothly apply the trailer brakes without applying your vehicle’s brakes. This is perfect for stopping sway or limiting your trailer’s movement while you’re cruising. The maximum amount of power that will be applied to your trailer’s brakes is determined by the set braking output.
You can also add a manual override button (C83HR – sold separately) to your dash so you can use the manual override without the app. The app must be running – either open or in the background – for the button to work. The button has an adhesive pad for a quick-stick installation and includes an easily replaceable battery.
Save Multiple Trailer Profiles
Get on the road faster by saving your settings. With the app, you can add and store multiple profiles for both trailers and vehicles so that your braking output, sensitivity, and display preferences will be ready to go as soon as you hook up. This is perfect if you own a landscaping business and you don’t want to have to reset the controller every time you swap out trucks or trailers. But it’s also really convenient to have at home. Because you can use the Echo on any car that has a 7-way, you and your spouse can trade off towing the family camper without having to completely redo the settings each time. You’ll have the ideal settings waiting for you.
Dark Mode for Night-Time Towing
The ECHO Smart Control app has an included dark mode for driving at night. This will change your background from white to black to cut down on glare and make the app safe and comfortable to use.
Because the Echo is made to be outside the vehicle, it’s designed for maximum weather resistance. The unit is filled with an epoxy resin that seals off the internal components from moisture and the elements, ensuring long-lasting operation despite rain, snow, dirt, mud, and more. The Echo also has a soft locking tab for connecting to your 7-way RV-style plug that helps to reduce vibration and improve connectivity.
LED Status Indicator
The LED indicator light on the top of the plug-in module will show you when the brake controller is connected. You can also check the LED indicators for diagnostics when you need to troubleshoot.
The Curt Echo brake controller comes equipped with proportional braking to give you the best towing experience. Proportional braking means that your trailer brakes mimic your tow vehicle’s brakes. If you slam on the brakes in your vehicle, your trailer brakes will activate with the same intensity; if you brake lightly, your trailer brakes lightly too. The trailer’s braking is in proportion to your vehicle’s braking. This saves wear and tear on the tires and the brakes on both your vehicle and trailer.
The Echo uses an internal 3-axis accelerometer to sense how your vehicle is braking so it can send the right amount of braking power to your trailer. It measures the inertia of your tow vehicle and activates the trailer’s brakes to ensure that your trailer slows at the same rate. The result is uniform braking across your towing setup. No push-pull action – just smooth, proportional braking every time.
51180 Curt Echo Wireless Trailer Brake Controller – Smart Phone Bluetooth Connection – 1 to 2 Axles – Proportional
This Product Fits The Following Vehicles
- 2008 – 2013 BMW 1 Series
- 2013 – 2022 Ram 1500
- 2010 – 2012 Ram 1500 with factory 4-Flat
- 2010 – 2012 Ram 1500 with factory 7-Way
- 2010 – 2012 Ram 1500 without factory Tow Package
- 2019 – 2023 Ram 1500 Classic
- 2013 – 2017 Roadtrek 170-Versatile Motorhome with factory Tow Package
- 2013 – 2017 Roadtrek 170-Versatile Motorhome without factory Tow Package
- 2014 – 2019 Roadtrek 190-Popular Motorhome with factory Tow Package
- 2014 – 2019 Roadtrek 190-Popular Motorhome without factory Tow Package
- 2011 – 2014 Mazda 2
- 2014 – 2022 BMW 2 Series
- 2011 – 2017 Chrysler 200
- 2013 – 2019 Roadtrek 210-Popular Motorhome with factory Tow Package
- 2013 – 2019 Roadtrek 210-Popular Motorhome without factory Tow Package
- 2013 – 2023 Ram 2500
- 2010 – 2012 Ram 2500 with factory 4-Flat
- 2010 – 2012 Ram 2500 with factory 7-Way
- 2010 – 2012 Ram 2500 without factory Tow Package
- 2004 – 2023 Mazda 3
- 1984 – 2022 BMW 3 Series
- 2005 – 2023 Chrysler 300
- 1999 – 2004 Chrysler 300M
- 2013 – 2023 Ram 3500
- 2010 – 2012 Ram 3500 with factory 4-Flat
- 2010 – 2012 Ram 3500 with factory 7-Way
- 2010 – 2012 Ram 3500 without factory Tow Package
- 2004 – 2009 Nissan 350Z
- 2009 – 2020 Nissan 370Z
- 2014 – 2022 BMW 4 Series